The era of brick-and-mortar shops is gone. The e-business world is rising at an enormous speed, and it is harder than ever to stay competitive in the e-commerce industry. Setting up an ecommerce store can be successful only if you’re able to attract a sufficient number of customers.
However, for reaching a specific goal, you need to have a clear strategy. So in order to attract customers to your e-commerce, you need to develop a winning strategy. When a person visits a webpage for the first time, he/she will most likely look for reviews and feedback. But if the web store is new and doesn’t have any “social proof” that it has satisfied the needs of customers, it’s much harder to gain the trust of potential customers.
So new e-commerce that wants to gain more customers has to focus on providing a great customer experience. In this article, we’ll go through the main factors that affect customer experience and show you how to set up an ecommerce store that will win customers.
Set up an E-commerce Recommender Engine
All the successful e-businesses have a recommender system set up for their website. It’s a must for any e-commerce that wants to exceed all the expectations of the visitors. Recommendation engines are automated tools that are supposed to act like the shopping counter guy in the brick-and-mortar stores that help customers with recommendations.
Recommender engines collect and analyze the actions taken by each website visitor to make them suggestions based on what they have searched for, past purchases, and what they’re looking at right now. Also, if there’re limited data available about the specific visitor, then the recommender engine will compare the user with other customers with similar preferences, and make suggestions based on this information.
In general, recommendation engines were created to build a better shopping experience for the customers by personalizing the whole UX.
Improve Usability of the Website
You have to make sure that your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate. The user experience on your e-commerce store depends on many factors:
- Navigable website – your website navigation is very important because it plays an important role in getting your visitors to view more than one page. If the website usability is too complicated or unclear, visitors may easily choose to leave the website and shop with your competitor instead.
- User-oriented website – there are two types of website visitors: those who came to browse around and those who look for a specific product. The person who looks for a specific product wants the process to be as fast and easy as possible. The person who’s just browsing will navigate through menus, looking into different product categories. So for both cases, you want to create a user-oriented website that is easy to use. If the website has too many bars and menus, as well as ineffective on-site search engines. The visitor won’t wait too long before they switch to a different, more-user oriented web store.
- Mobile friendly version – when you launch your e-commerce store, don’t forget to develop a mobile-friendly version. Research revealed that 62% of smartphone users have made a purchase online in the past 6 months. In fact, according to the same research, about one-third of e-commerce purchases during the 2015 holiday season had been made via a smartphone.
- High-quality pictures – in an e-commerce store, the client can’t actually see or touch the product. That’s why users always look for high-quality pictures that reflect the realistic look of the item. So pack up your website with viewable and good-quality images.
- Informative product description – besides the images, you also want to provide your visitors with detailed descriptions of the products you list. Mention the features and benefits of the products in a bullet-point form to attract more attention and use big font size for better readability.
Personalize the User Experience
Personalization is highly valued by customers. It is achieved with the help of recommendation engines. There are many ways how a personalized e-commerce store can drive more sales and attract more customers. For example, the person is looking for a specific product on the website and the recommender engine pops up a window with products that fit the same categories and characteristics as filtered by the customer.
The recommendation engine collects data that customer inputs, then analyzes it and makes suggestions based on this data. The more insights the website collects about each user, the more relevant and personalized are the recommendations.
If a new visitor lands on your web page and you have no previous data about them, it doesn’t mean that you can’t personalize your site for them. You can personalize the home page for all visitors by creating sections for the bestsellers and show new visitors what people like most about your brand. Also, you can add sections of your new products to boost interest.
By analyzing their web search results, you can optimize your recommendations to show a personal approach to each and every one. An online retail giant like Amazon uses a recommendation engine to personalize the experience of its users because Amazon knows how to win the hearts of the customers.
Optimize the Shopping Cart Page
One of the main problems e-commerce shops often face is a high abandoned shopping cart rate. Shopify has revealed that 67.45% of online shopping carts are abandoned, which means that more than a half of purchases are left unfinished.
By optimizing your cart page, you can improve the high abandonment rate. Optimize the cart page by making it functional and easy-to-navigate. The optimization process requires testing, in order to figure out the best solutions for reducing cart abandonment.
First thing first, you want to clear your check-out page from all possible exit buttons. You also want to make the page clear from any distractions. The only thing you may consider to show on this page, except the cart itself, are suggestions generated by the recommender system.
You want to clear all the extra clicks that create confusion. In fact, the fewer are the clicks during the check-out process, the more chances are that the person will actually make it to the end. These are the main techniques used for improving the cart abandonment, however, you want to test all the options that are appropriate for your e-commerce store and create a strategy that would perfectly fit you.
Improve Social Media Strategy
So how to set up an e-commerce store that will win a huge amount of customers? Of course, you want to optimize the web store itself, nevertheless, don’t disregard the platforms that are also a part of the overall user experience. Social media must be integrated into your overall strategy because social platforms are the best engagement boosters.
You can see how much social media platforms are growing in real-time to better visualize the impact these sites can have on your potential customers. People use social media, on average, for 2 hours and 15 minutes per day, which is over 30% of the whole time spent online.
So why not to target people via social media to increase the traffic to your web store? In fact, failing to use social media channels properly would mean handing your customers to the competition by your own will.
Social media will help your business to build awareness and increase recognition. If you’re able to build a positive brand perception via social media platforms, then people are more likely to recommend your brand to others. And vice versa, if you leave your followers disappointed, people are less likely to shop with you.
Building an effective and interactive social media platform depends on many factors. Here are some of them:
- Be consistent and regular with your postings.
- Use images, links, and written content to make your posts more interactive.
- Consider sharing videos for special announcements.
- No spam.
- Use analytics to track engagement with your page.
Test different platforms to find the ones that are the most engaging for your customers. Usually, e-commerce stores use Instagram, Pinterest, and Snapchat most aggressively. However, Facebook and Twitter should not be completely disregarded.
Humanize Your E-commerce Store
How to set up an e-commerce store that will win more customers and deliver great user experience? All of the above-mentioned factors are important for creating an enjoyable experience, but in reality, the whole meaning behind them is to create a human-like experience with your brand.
Your brand must have a character that will make the customers perceive it as a friend. The recommendation engines are so beneficial to businesses because they humanize the e-commerce store. They create recommendations and offers to mimic the attitude of a real person.
The main idea behind a personalized e-commerce store is enhancing the human factor of the company. Social media strategy is also there to create a trust-based relationship with customers.
So to conclude, in order to win more customers for your e-business, build a website that is easy to use and has no technical difficulties. Enhance the human side of your brand by ensuring high-quality service and enjoyable experience!